Stranger things cake ideas | Stranger things birthday cake ideas
Stranger things cake ideas
Stranger things cake ideas | Stranger things birthday cake ideasFans unite! This Stranger Things Cake is a delicious chocolate, white and red cake decorated to the nines to represent all the fun this show has to offer!
- 1 bowl
- 2 plates
- 1 box white cake mix
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 2 Tbs vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 Red food coloring
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips melted
- 1 Tbs cocoa powder
- 1 1/3 cup butter
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 Tbs vanilla extract
- 8 cups powdered sugar
- 1 small Wilton black decorating icing
- 1 small Peanut M&M's
- 1 Mini eggos
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Line 3 8" round cake pans with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray, set aside.
- In large bowl whisk together your cake mix, flour, sugar and salt.
- Add in your water, vegetable oil, extracts, sour cream and egg whites and beat with mixer until combined.
- Divide batter evenly between your three bowls.
- In one bowl leave cake mix as is, in the second bowl add red food coloring to reach desired red color consistency.
- In the third bowl stir in your cocoa powder and melted chocolate.
- Pour into prepared cake pans.
- Place in oven and bake for about 30-35 minutes or until top of cake springs back when touched and toothpick comes out clean.
- Once baked, remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- To make your frosting in large bowl beat together your butter and shortening until light and fluffy.
- Add in your extract and continue to beat.Add in your powdered sugar one cup at a time until you reach your desired consistency and flavor.Once cake is cooled place the chocolate cake layer on a turn table or cake stand.
- Add about 3/4 cup of your frosting and smooth out until about 1/2" from sides.Top with your red layer and repeat with frosting and lastly topping with the white layer.Thinly apply a coat of frosting on the outside and top of cake to seal in your crumbs, this is called the crumb coat.Place in refrigerator or cool place for about 20 minutes to set up and harden slightly.
- Remove from refrigerator and continue to decorate with remaining frosting reserving about 1 cup for the top.Place remaining frosting in piping bag fitted with a star tip (doesn't matter what kind) and set aside.About 1" down from the top of the cake mark off little lines (13) about 2" apart all the way around.
- Using your black food coloring bag (or make black yourself and place into piping bag fitted with a small round tip) right above the lines about 1/2" from top start piping your frosting around the top making sure to go slightly up and down with bag to create a string of lights effect.Add your M&M's where you made your lines and pipe the alphabet A-M under the M&M's.
- About 1" below your letters mark off 13 lines again between each of the letter so they appear to not be on top of one another and repeat with the black food coloring, M&M's and remainder of your alphabet.Pipe large swirls around the top of your cake and place mini eggos on every other swirl and press down gently.Refrigerate before serving if desired.