New York Hard Roll Recipe
Welcome to the world of New York Hard Rolls! These classic rolls have a crispy crust and a soft, chewy interior that makes them perfect for sandwiches or simply toasted with butter. The recipe for these rolls has been around for over a century and has become a staple of the New York City food scene. Made with simple ingredients like flour, yeast, water, and salt, these rolls are easy to make at home with a little practice. So let’s get started and learn how to make your own New York Hard Rolls that will rival any bakery in the city!
New York Hard Roll Recipe Ingredients
- 12 lasagna noodles
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 16 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
New York Hard Roll Recipe Instructions
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Cook the lasagna noodles according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook the ground beef, onion, and garlic over medium heat until the beef is browned and the onion is tender. Drain off any excess fat.
- Stir in the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, basil, fennel seeds, 1 teaspoon salt, and black pepper. Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a medium bowl, mix the ricotta cheese, egg, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and parsley until well combined.
- To assemble the lasagna, spread 1 cup of the meat sauce in the bottom of a 9×13-inch baking dish. Arrange 4 lasagna noodles on top of the sauce, followed by 1/3 of the ricotta mixture, 1 cup of the shredded mozzarella cheese, and 1/4 cup of the grated Parmesan cheese. Repeat the layers two more times.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and bake for 25 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for an additional 25 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Let the lasagna cool for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
New York Hard Roll Recipe Ingredient Importance
- Lasagna Noodles: The foundation of the dish, providing a sturdy base for the layers of meat sauce, cheese, and ricotta.
- Ground Beef: Provides the meaty flavor and texture to the meat sauce.
- Onion and Garlic: Adds a savory and aromatic flavor to the meat sauce.
- Crushed Tomatoes and Tomato Paste: The base of the tomato sauce that gives the lasagna its signature flavor.
- Sugar: Balances the acidity of the tomatoes and enhances the overall flavor of the sauce.
- Basil and Fennel Seeds: Adds an herby and slightly sweet flavor to the sauce.
- Salt and Pepper: Seasoning for the meat sauce and ricotta cheese mixture.
- Fresh Parsley: Adds a bright and fresh flavor to the ricotta cheese mixture.
- Ricotta Cheese: Provides a creamy and rich layer to the lasagna.
- Egg: Binds the ricotta cheese and adds structure to the layer.
- Mozzarella Cheese: Provides a stretchy and gooey texture to the lasagna.
- Parmesan Cheese: Adds a nutty and salty flavor to the lasagna.
New York Hard Roll Recipe
Custom made bread has become exceptionally well known these days. A many individuals are evaluating their hands at making various dishes, and the New York hard roll recipe is one of them. It is perhaps of the most straightforward recipe that you can adhere to guidelines as well, to heat bread at home and appreciate with any dish that you might want. Bread is best delighted in with soups or sauce comprehensive dishes. You can likewise have these hard moves with your decision of salad dishes. New salsa or plain salted margarine works out positively for these rolls as well. Presently, with this recipe, you can make them from scratch!
- 1 cup
- 1 bobowl
- 5 Cup pizza flour or all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp instant yeast
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 2.5 cup water
- 1 small egg beaten with a teaspoon of water
- 1/4 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1/4 tbsp sesame seeds
- Pour some warm water into a medium sized bowl. The water should not be so warm that it burns your finger. It should be slightly warm but not too warm to be a hot liquid hazard. Mix the granulated sugar into the water, making sure it dissolves completely.
- Add in the instant yeast. Slowly mix yeast with sugar and dissolved water. As soon as the water is absorbed by the yeast, cover it with a lid and set it aside in a sufficiently warm place. This will help the yeast to activate and really work.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the flour, sprinkle with salt and mix well. Fill it with water mixed with yeast. Slowly start mixing it together. You can use your hands or a spoon. You can also use a spatula.
- It all depends on your comfort zone. As the wet and dry ingredients continue to mix together, a dough will begin to form. As the dough rises, cover it with a damp but fresh towel and set it aside to rest. Let rise for 40-45 minutes.
- Sprinkle some loose flour and pat gently on the kneaded dough. It should have increased in size by now. Knead the dough for a few minutes. Make sure the dough oxygenates and gets plenty of air. Put some oil on your hands, lather the dough into a ball and place it back in the bowl. Allow it to rest and rise for another 45 minutes.
- While the dough is resting and rising, prepare the baking sheet. Line with baking paper. Make sure there is enough space in the baking sheet for the bread to stretch and increase in volume. Preheat the oven to 220 degrees F. Preheat for about 10-15 minutes.
- Beat a large egg with a fork. You can sprinkle some salt in it. Add some water too. Beat it well to make a good egg wash. Prepare a cooking brush with which you will brush the bread rolls.
- Uncover the dough and sprinkle with loose powder. Stretch and fold the dough. Cut it into 12 pieces. Place them on a baking sheet. Brush them with beaten egg wash.
- Sprinkle poppy seeds and sesame seeds on them. Make sure they stick well. You can take a sharp knife and make a cross on top of each of them but not too deep.
- Place them in the oven and bake for around 35-40 minutes. Take them out and check if they are ready. Let them rest on a cooling rack for about 10-15 minutes. Serve with your main dish or soup and gravy. Enjoy warm!
1 thought on “New York Hard Roll Recipe”