diabetic breakfast ideas | Mushroom Freezer Breakfast Burritos
Diabetic breakfast ideas | Mushroom Freezer Breakfast Burritos
For many people, breakfast is the most neglected meal of the day. But if you have diabetes, breakfast is a must, and it can have real benefits for your health. “Breakfast is especially important for someone who has diabetes because it helps control blood sugar for the rest of the day,” says Rahaf Al Bochi, RDN, CDCES, a Baltimore-based spokesperson for the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics and the owner of Olive Tree Nutrition.
- 1 Chef's knife
- 1 Cutting board
- 1 Measuring cups
- 1 sheet
- 10-inch nonstick or cast iron skillet
- 2 tablespoon neutral oil (canola, vegetable, grapeseed)
- 1/2 small white onion, diced
- 2 small garlic gloves, minced
- 2 cup crimini mushrooms, chopped
- 4 cup loosely packed spinach, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 large eggs
- 3 tablespoon milk
- 1 cup Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup Cooking spray
- 4 large whole wheat tortillas
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoon goat cheese
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add oil to pan. Add the onion, garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes or until translucent.
- Add the mushrooms and cook until they are golden brown (about 3-4 minutes). Flip the mushrooms, so the other side can cook. Place the spinach in the pan and cook until it’s wilted or about 3-4 minutes. Season with salt and stir all the veggies together. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and milk. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat another large skillet over medium heat. Spray the skillet with cooking spray and add egg mixture. Cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently, until the eggs have set. Remove from heat.
- Heat the tortillas in the microwave for 10 seconds (they are easier to roll when warm). Lay out the tortillas on four separate pieces of aluminum foil and spread one and a half tablespoon of goat cheese on each tortilla. Evenly distribute the roasted vegetables and scrambled eggs among the four tortillas. Roll each one up in the foil and place in a freezer bag. Freeze.
- When ready to eat from the freezer, microwave on high for 1-2 minutes or until heated throughout.
1 thought on “Diabetic breakfast ideas”