Belizean johnny cake recipe | belize johnny cake recipe
Belizean johnny cake recipe
Belizean johnny cake recipe | belize johnny cake recipeJohnny Cakes is not only a delicious breakfast but one of the top foods to eat in Belize. In this blog post, we share the ingredients and instructions for making Johnny Cake.
- 1 lb flour
- 1/2 cup shortening or substitute marjarine, or butter
- 3 heaped teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups coconut milk
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 F approximately 205 C.
- In a bowl add flour, salt, baking powder and shortening. Rub shortening and flour mixture together with fingertips (as when making biscuits, flour and fat should form lumps like bread crumbs).
- Gradually add coconut milk to the flour mixture and knead into a dough with the help of hands.
- Add another cup of coconut milk, just enough to make a soft dough. If the dough seems hard, add some more coconut milk.
- You are not making bread so don't mix or knead too much.Once you have a nice soft dough, roll it into a strip about 12 to 15 inches long. Cut the rolled dough into 1 1/2″ to 2″ pieces.
- Place on a greased baking sheet and shape into round balls.
- Flatten slightly with the palm of the hand and prick with a fork. Bake in the hot oven until golden brown about 10 to 15 minutes.Serve with Dutch Gouda Cheese.